Child Care Licensing

Geary, Clay, and Riley County

The goal of the Child Care Licensing Program is to reduce the risk of predictable harm to children while in out-of-home settings. The Riley County Health Department Child Care Licensing division works with all child care providers in Riley County to ensure children within our community receive safe, high quality child care.

Girl Doing Puzzle
Girl on Slide

Services include:

  • Provide information to those interested in becoming licensed child care providers
  • Initial inspection visits of the day care home or center to verify compliance with state regulations
  • On-site annual inspection visits of licensed facilities
  • Consultation visits
  • Investigation of complaints
Boy Coloring

According to Kansas Child Care Licensing Law, anyone providing care for children out of their home, other than those related by blood, marriage, or adoption must be licensed with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

Prior to applying for a child care license, prospective providers must:

  • Have a high School Diploma or GED and;
  • Required to attend New Provider Orientation

Child Care Orientation

The meetings for prospective providers in Riley County are held from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. the third Thursday of the month at the Family Child Resource Center, 2101 Claflin Road, Manhattan, KS.

The meetings for prospective providers in Geary County are held on the first Thursday of each month from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Library Corner, 238 W. 8th Street in Junction City, KS.

Clay County providers can attend either orientation.

The orientation discusses all information pertinent for obtaining a license, to include training requirements, licensing requirements, etc. It is also a time for prospective providers to bring questions or concerns for discussion. Please pre-register for classes in Riley County by calling 785-776-4779 extension 7656 and in Geary County by calling 785-776-4779, extension 7678.

Please view the link for Initial Professional Development Training Requirements for prospective providers.

New provider packets are available to pick up at the Family and Child Resource Center located at 2101 Claflin Road, lower level clerks desk. The packet includes the regulation book, KDHE required forms, and other great resources. The information should be reviewed prior to attending New Provider Orientation.

Click on the links below for more information regarding child care licensing, classes, and resources for child care providers and parents.

For questions or information regarding child care licensing in Riley or Geary County or to report a concern regarding illegal child care or a licensed child care facility, please contact your local Child Care Licensing Surveyor:

  • Riley County, Angie Hobbs, 785-776-4779 Ext 7656 or by email
  • Geary and Clay County,  Tarica Lare, 785-776-4779 EXT 7678 or by email